Friday, November 11, 2011

Deep Waters

I feel much like a new, inexperienced sailor standing at the edge of the sea.

Never sailed before,

never seen such a wide open expanse,

but ready to brave the rough waters.

Longing to explore and be lost in it all.

To be sure, I am in a new season with the Lord.

Everything has shifted.

And with my transition into being a man, and preparing to be on my own with the Lord,

He has finally spoken of the word which wakes the sleeping, dormant part of my heart.

The word that, until now, I didn't realize how much my heart has been waiting for.

Destiny.

Trying to explain how I feel is as difficult as it would be for that young, ruddy sailor to describe what the ocean is like to one who has never seen it.

This calling; this first look into that vast expanse of God's destiny is such an important step into becoming a man. Or rather,

A man of God.



My thoughts begin to wander into my future and where I will be in the next few years,

much like an aspiring sailor would dream of himself far away on the daring waves.

The best way I can describe what this season of life is for me is like that of the sailor...

...finally stepping onto the boat, hearing the Creator calling, if not daring him to weather the endless waters.

After years of training and guidance from those on shore who have already sailed their own waters and sought their own adventures, it is now his turn.

To go after what he wants. What his heart desires.

The goal is not what is on the other side of the sea. For that is not in question. The sailor's final destination is set in stone, thanks be to the Son.

The goal is rather the adventure to be lived on the sea with his Maker.

To know his Maker...to truly and completely know and be known by Him.

In this world, let it be known that this sea is not without monsters to slay, storms to weather, and a beauty to be fought for on some island in the distance.

These things no longer frighten the young man. He is ready. He has heard the old sailor tell their stories, but he wants to live his own adventure.

And so the young sailor steps out onto the boat. Feels the smooth touch of the helm, and now turns to untie the last ropes keeping him tied to the old world.

Ropes untied. Steady as she goes. Chasing the horizon; chasing the Son you might say.

For all purposes of the heart, my very person, and my spirit;

I am that sailor.


Ready to shove off and experience adventure on my own. There is not a hint of rebellion in this. My Maker has called me into the vast expanse and I wouldn't keep Him waiting for the world.


You could say that this is my goodbye. However, I will be back with stories to tell.


"The spiritual life cannot be made suburban. It is always frontier, and we who live in it must accept and even rejoice that it remains untamed." -Howard Macey

"The heart of a man is like deep water..." Proverbs 20:5 NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment